Sailor Salute to Heroes
THE AWARD WINNING SAILOR SALUTE FEATURES A SALUTE TO VETERANS, MILITARY, POLICE, FIRE AND FIRST RESPONDERS AND A FOOTBALL GAME BETWEEN STATE CHAMPION, MONA SHORES HIGH SCHOOL AND POWERHOUSE ZEELAND WEST HIGH SCHOOL ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17TH, 2021.
WHAT IS SAILOR SALUTE: A tribute to those who serve our country and community. The event honors active duty military and their families, veterans and first responders including police, fire and emergency personnel.
All veterans, active duty personnel, police, fire and first responders are admitted free.
PURPOSE: The evening serves three purposes.
First, the event is meant to HONOR those who serve or have served our country in the military, in our police and fire departments, or as an emergency responder.
Second, the event is an EDUCATION on the issues and needs that exist within these areas of service. And serves to remind those in attendance of the freedoms we enjoy.
Finally, the event is meant to CONNECT all of these branches of service with our community. As part of our great and proud Muskegon community, Mona Shores simply wants to celebrate such service.
WHEN: Friday, September 17, 2021 at Mona Shores High School during the football game with Zeeland West High School. Festivities and static displays open at 5:00pm. Football game starts at 7:00pm. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students.
ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS:
• Prior to the game, static displays will be available outside of Sailor Stadium and everyone is welcome to explore and get pictures with a variety of military and emergency responder vehicles. Sailor Stadium will open at 5:00 pm and there will be interactive displays from all branches of the military as well as Muskegon-area fire and police on the concourse.
Pending approval, a Blackhawk helicopter provided by the Army and Army National Guard will land at Sailor Stadium Friday afternoon and take off at halftime.
• There will be a “COMMUNITY MASS CHOIR” that will sing “God Bless America” and the “National Anthem” on the field prior to the football game. EVERYONE throughout the community is invited to be part of the choir. To sign up click on the link: https://forms.gle/3dmRLDiVb9iZX5KK8
• A POW/MIA remembrance ceremony at 6:50pm that includes a moment of silence and the playing of “Taps.”
• Mona Shores High School will host a VIP food tent for veterans, military and first responders.
• The football teams will participate in a special meet and greet with all veterans, military, police, fire and first responder just prior to the game.
• Around 6:15 pm, hundreds of members of various motorcycle groups who support veterans will parade through the static display area.
• The Hooligan Flight Team will make a number of passes over Sailor Stadium in conjunction with the national anthem at around 6:58pm.
• Between the first and second quarter several new military enlistees will participate in the Oath of Enlistment ceremony.
• During the game there will also be a “MINUTE OF CHANGE” to raise funds for local veterans’ organizations.
• Between the third and fourth quarter cheerleaders from both Zeeland West and Mona Shores will knock out 22 pushups in observance of the “22Kill.com Pushup Challenge” – an activity that brings awareness to the fact that 22 veterans commit suicide daily.
FOOTBALL GAME: The Mona Shores Sailors will host Zeeland West. Sailor Stadium is at 1121 Seminole Rd. Norton Shores, MI 49441. Game tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students. ALL current and former military, police, fire, and emergency responders are granted free admission if they are in uniform or have representative dress of servitude.
SOCIAL MEDIA: Please help us spread the word about this event and invite your friends to participate.
PARKING: Parking will be available on school grounds – including the practice football field area behind the East Lot. Overflow parking will be at our soccer complex, Fairway Farms, and our neighboring churches.
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE? We are recruiting community members to participate in a “Community Mass Choir” that will sing “America the Beautiful” and the “Star Spangled Banner” with the band prior to the game.
Any community member or alumnus that would like to sing before the game is welcome to take the field and sing along with all of our elementary, middle, and high school choirs. ALL are welcome to take part. We want to see kindergartners standing alongside senior citizens – and everyone in between – from all over the community.
Please invite your friends, family members, and neighbors to do the same! Just click on the link below this message to sign up by Monday, August 30 to guarantee that you will get a complimentary Sailor Salute T-shirt for your participation.
For more information please contact Mona Shores Director of Athletics, Todd Conrad at email@example.com or call 231-332-8312.