- This event has passed.
Central Michigan University Double Show Weekend
July 12 @ 7:30 pm
One event on July 13, 2019 at 7:30 pm
The 2019 Summer Theatre Festival at The Playhouse at White Lake (formerly Howmet Playhouse) happens every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from July 11 through August 24! All shows begin at 7:30pm (unless otherwise noted). July 12 and 13, it’s a Central Michigan University Double Show Weekend!
It’s begins July 12 with Neil Simon at his most humane, compassionate best. “California Suite” is directed by Elaine Daugherty and is a humorous confection divided into four parts:
- In Visitor from New York, Hannah, a magazine writer, is joined by her ex-husband, the question being with whom should their daughter spend the next six months? The banter flies fast and furious, but Hannah’s well-wrought artifice crumbles as her fears take hold.
- The Visitor from Philadelphia is a wife who arrives at the suite, catching her husband “en flagrante delicto” with a drunken hooker.
- In Visitors from London Academy Award nominee Diana returns from the ceremony empty-handed to her husband, Sidney, whose homosexuality will be no comfort tonight.
- The Visitors from Chicago are two couples ending a disastrous vacation they should not have shared.
July 13, it’s “Fox on the Fairway” by Ken Ludwig, directed by Steve Berglund:
- A tribute from Ken Ludwig (Lend Me A Tenor, Moon Over Buffalo) to the great English farces of the 1930s and 1940s, A Fox On the Fairway takes audiences on a hilarious romp, which pulls the rug out from underneath the stuffy denizens of a private country club. Filled with mistaken identities, slamming doors, and over-the-top romantic shenanigans, it’s a furiously paced comedy that recalls the Marx Brothers’ classics. A charmingly madcap adventure about love, life, and man’s eternal love affair with … golf.
Theater Box Office hours are, 1:00pm – 5:00pm weekdays, and one hour before curtain. Season Passes are your best value. Make a single purchase, and then pick and choose the plays you wish to attend. Single show tickets are $25 for adults and $22 for students.
Content Advisory: The Playhouse does not offer advisories about subject matter, as sensitivities vary from person to person. If you have any questions about content, age-appropriateness, or stage effects (such as strobe lights or theatrical fog) that might have a bearing on patron comfort, please contact them at (231) 894-4048 or through their website.
The 2019 Summer Theatre Festival is made possible by a grant from the Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs.