Experience Michigan’s beautiful autumn, and a fun fall tradition. Visit Muskegon presents the 16th Annual “Depot to Depot Fall Color Tour”
For four Saturdays we invite you to celebrate the vibrant colors of our woods, dunes and water! Drive your car or ride your bike along this self-guided route that stretches from the Muskegon South Pier-head Light to the White River Light Station. Travel on some of Muskegon’s most scenic roads along Lake Michigan and the West Michigan Pike Byway. Visit historic sites, enjoy nature and snap some “selfies”.
Due to the ever changing environment surrounding COVID-19, Depot to Depot 2020 will be presented a little differently:
The event has also been extended to 4 Saturdays – October 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th
Contest entries will be gathered by social media check-ins at the designated stops. This replaces the stamps on maps
Participants will use the hashtag #D2D20 as entries to win prizes
The Muskegon and White Lake Depots will not be open on Saturdays to hand out maps. Maps will be available to download or in an outdoor pick-up box at the Depot (subject to change)
The Muskegon and White Lake Depots will not offer refreshments, crafts or free pumpkins this year (subject to change)
Follow your map and check in on Facebook and Instagram at designated stops and you will be entered to win prizes! The more check-ins, the more entries!
(Be sure to post “public”. If we can’t see them, we can’t count them). Along with weekly giveaways on both Facebook and Instagram, there will also be two “Grand Prize” drawings: A set of round trip passes aboard the Lake Express High Speed Ferry and a set of passes for Michigan’s Adventure!
(Both for the 2021 season. Drawing will be held at the end of October).
This event is FREE.
Download your map and start your journey. Or pick up a map outside either historic Depot:
* The Muskegon Union Depot, home to Visit Muskegon (Muskegon County Convention & Visitors Bureau).
610 W Western Ave, Muskegon, MI
* Chamber Train Depot, home to the White Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
124 W Hanson, Whitehall, MI
🍂 Specials Offered by 2020 Depot to Depot Designated Stops
• Art Cats gallery: 10% off earrings
• BananaDogStore: 50 cents off any specialty drink
• BoomTown Market: 10% discount
• The Cheese Lady Muskegon: 40% off Irish Cheddar, up to 1 lb
• City Center Arts Muskegon: Individually wrapped cookies from The 490 Bakery
• Lake Effect Sport: Discounted daily rate for bike rentals
• The Lemon Blossom: Free chocolate and 15% retail discount
• Morat’s Bakery: Free Frozen Cider and donut hole and 10% discount
• Muskegon Museum of Art: $5 Off Adult and Senior Admission / 20% off one non-consignment item in the Gift Store
• Pitkin Drug and Gift Shoppe: 20% off coupon
• Red Rooster Tavern – North Muskegon: A dollar off appetizers with map
• The Book Nook & Java Shop: 15% off books / Buy one beverage get one half off / Free no-bake cookie bites
• White Lake Community Library: Goody bags
🍁 Just show your paper or downloaded map.
Or mention that you are on the Depot to Depot Tour!
Depot to Depot is a popular fall activity, enjoyed by many within and outside our community. With these “minimal contact” changes in place, we are pleased to offer an event during a year filled with cancellations and postponements.
Driving Directions for Visit Muskegon Depot to Depot Fall Color Tour 2020 (North)
From Muskegon Historic Depot to White Lake Historic Depot:
• Business 31 north to N. Muskegon exit (exit is on the left)
• Left on Lake Ave., left on Ruddiman Dr. (turns into Memorial Dr.)
• Follow Memorial Dr. to Scenic Dr., then turn right towardsWhitehall
• Continue on Scenic, watch for the Red Rooster (take a selfie)
• Along Scenic Dr. enjoy Lake Michigan, the Blockhouse, Sand Dunes & Duck Lake
• Approach a 4-way stop and turn left on Murray Rd. towards White River Light Station.
• Leaving White River Light Station, continue straight on South Shore Dr.
• From South Shore Dr., turn right on White Lake Dr. or continue straight to the White Lake Community Library.
• From White Lake Dr. turn left on South Mears Ave. (Zellar)
• Turn left on Colby St. Visit designated stops in Whitehall and Montague. Continue to 124 Hanson St. to reach the White Lake Historic Depot. Remember to take selfiesalong the way and post on social media #D2D20 to win weekly prizes and end of month grand prize!
(Total Route Approximately 30 miles)
From White Lake Historic Depot to Muskegon Historic Depot:
• Travel east on W. Hanson St. to Colby St.
• From Colby St., turn right on N. Mears Ave. then take a right on White Lake Dr.
• Turn left on South Shore Dr. (turns into Murray Rd.)
• Stay on Murray Rd. until you reach White River Light Station
• Leaving White River Light Station, stay on Murray Rd.
• Take 1st right to stay on Murray Rd. then turn right on Scenic Dr. (turns into Memorial Dr.)
• Follow Memorial Dr. then turn right on Ruddiman Dr.
• Turn right on Center St. to Lake Ave., then turn right on M-120/Bus. 31
• From M-120/Bus. 31, turn left on Third St.
• Visit the many designated stops in downtown Muskegon such as Hackley & Hume Historic Site, Muskegon Farmers Market, Shops on Western Ave., The Cheese Lady, BoomTown Market, Muskegon Heritage Museum, Moxie the Mastadon at Lakeshore Museum Center and Morat’s Bakery! All places to take a selfie and post on Social Media #D2D20 to win weekly prizes and a grand prize the end of October